Yes, brookies not broekies and yes, it is actually a thing. Not too long ago I took my brookies to work and had all my co-workers in stitches when I told everyone that walked into our office they had to try my brookies. You see they thought I was saying broekies – a term some South Africans use when referring to their underpants. Only in South Africa, hey.
Okay, so many of you may know brookies – there are many recipes out there; but for those of you who thought I was talking about my sparkle pants when you heard brookies… brookies are basically the love-child between a brownie and cookie. Instead of saying brownie cookies, or cookie brownies – brookies was born.
Like I said many recipes are out there and brookie world is an exciting one to explore. But for now, here is the recipe for Sparkle Brooks.
HOW TO MAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚ C.
- Mix the eggs, melted butter and brownie mix until smooth (but don’t overmix).
- Place a sheet of baking paper in a glass oven dish and spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour half of the brownie mix in the glass dish.
- Layer the biscuits over brownie mix.
- Slice the lunch bar into pieces and sprinkle over biscuits.
- Then pour the rest of the mix over.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the batter is set (remember it needs to be harder than a brownie and softer than a hard biscuit).
- Melt the dark chocolate; one minute in the microwave – take out and stir. If its still not melted, place back in the microwave for ten seconds; take out stir and repeat, as needed.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the brookies.
- Decorate with smarties; and sprinkles. Allow the chocolate to set and cut into slices.
TA-DA! And that’s how you make Sparkle Brookies aka. Sparkle Brooks.
To download the Recipe click here: SPARKLE BROOKS